- Identify and evaluate new investment opportunities following our human and financial capital investment strategy
- The work part of your time in operational roles in our partner companies
- Manage a portfolio of venture companies against key performance and impact indicators
- Provide advisory work within the mandate of existing partnerships such as the EEGF and opportunistically to generate additional revenue, gain market insights and develop business opportunities
- Actively contribute to our investment process
- Support our ongoing fundraising
- Support recruitment, training and development of additional venture advisors and other team members
- Provide industry thought leadership through research and by representing Persistent at conferences, other events and generally in the African community
Your impact will be evaluated by the following KPIs:
- Value of - and impact generated by sweat equity positions added to Persistent balance sheet
- Value created through originated investments
- People added and successfully integrated into the team
- Cash revenue from advisory and other mandates
- Thought-leading articles published / presentations given.
- Self-starter and all-arounder: You are willing to take bold steps and to bring the organisation with you, resulting in new investment opportunities, sustainable performance of our portfolio, and highly motivated colleagues and portfolio entrepreneurs. You are willing to get your hands dirty and do not consider even basic venture building tasks beneath you.
- Business model design and financial analysis: You have the ability to build financial models for successful businesses, you are able to conduct detailed financial analysis generating actionable insights, and you have a sound understanding of corporate finance matters and accounting
- Building relationships and representing: You understand and have strong connections within the start-up ecosystems in Africa. You are able to build out our Africa presence on the ground and connect it to the relevant actors in the ecosystem Persistent operates in. You have the confidence and competence to be a public voice for Persistent in public speaking, writing and participating in industry groups and the community at large.
- Entrepreneurial experience and mindset and/or early-stage investing experience: Ideally you have been a founder or an entrepreneur in an early stage business and know the needs of startups in terms of know-how, experience and financial capital. In addition or alternatively, you have experience investing in early-stage companies and supporting them in their growth
- Team player with strong leadership and management skills: You are able to set direction and to enable and empower colleagues within an organisation.
- Travel: You are able to frequently travel to spend time with ventures and the distributed Persistent team
Location: You are based in West Africa and/or have a strong local network in West Africa
Ideally, you will also have the following:
- Knowledge of the renewable energy sector in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience working within the framework UN SDG 6-9