In supporting the Head of the ECOWAS EAD, the Embedded Technical Expert will undertake the following roles and functions:
- Provide strategic and technical guidance and policy advice to the partner organisation for the enhancement of electoral assistance processes and in line with international best practices and standards
- Support relevant areas of work of the EAD towards improvement in the organisation and conduct of election observation missions of the Commission
- Support the EAD in the design of conceptual/policy frameworks and other guidelines for electoral assistance and observation
- Provide context analyses and technical briefs in support of Core Team deployments
- Research, develop and present analytical reports, research papers, briefing notes, background papers, correspondence, and knowledge products as required
- Support evaluation processes as well as internal/external reporting processes of the EAD and provide quality assurance
- Interface and liaison with key strategic partners and stakeholders of the EAD, including the ECOWAS Network of Electoral Commissions (ECONEC)
- Support knowledge building and lessons learned processes with respect to regional electoral assistance processes
- Provide support for the development of/ adjustments to operational plans and budgets and ensure inline implementation
- Provide administrative and logistical support for activity implementation including for mission deployments
- Facilitate and support a good flow of communication between the EAD and the EPSAO Project Team and ensure regular consultation and exchange with the GIZ Electoral Affairs Component Head
- Ensure consistent implementation of GIZ and EU guidelines
- Perform other project-related duties and functions as may be directed.
- Contract duration: 16 August 2021 - 31 January 2023 with potential for renewal subject to extension of the Project by the commissioning parties.
• Master’s degree in international relations, law, political science, social science or other related fields of study
- At least seven years experience working in the areas of peacebuilding, democracy and governance, conflict prevention or other related fields.
- Experience working on electoral assistance processes will be a strong added advantage.
- A good understanding of the African Peace and security landscape and especially the ECOWAS region - with an established network.
- Experience working for an international organisation will be highly desirable as will experience working or engaging with national actors (including governments, civil society and others).
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Experience in conflict resolution management
- Experience with electoral observation processes (including field experiences) will be a strong asset as will familiarity with ECOWAS electoral assistance work.
- BRIDGE facilitator accreditation will be an advantage
- Ability to work in a dynamic, multidisciplinary and highly political context
- Excellent diplomacy and persuasion skills with a high sense of integrity and transparency
- Good knowledge and understanding of results-based planning, monitoring and reporting
- Impeccable writing, reporting and presentation skills
- Strong organisational and project management skills
- Spoken and written language skills in English is required for this position. Working knowledge of the French language will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS region and established contacts with relevant actors is regarded as an asset.